ASU head coach Todd Graham will relish homecoming trip
A Texan, born and bred, Graham told media gathered in Tempe Thursday that he's looking forward to the homecoming.
"It really means a lot to me," he said.
The coach grew up a little more than 30 miles from Arlington's AT&T Stadium, in Mesquite, Texas. And the stadium, of course, is home to the Dallas Cowboys, the team Graham grew up rooting for.
In 1988, Graham's coaching career began as an assistant with a high school in his hometown. Then, after a couple of stops in Oklahoma, he returned to the lonestar state to coach more high school football in Allen, Texas.
His last stint in his home state came at Rice University in Houston -- the run that preceded his seasons at Tulsa, then Pittsburgh.
Graham, who took the head coaching opening with the Sun Devils in December of 2011, will have something of a reunion at AT&T Stadium on Saturday, he says.
"My middle school coach, my high school coach, my mom and obviously my brothers and my siblings are all going to be there," he said, "and that's the first time I've ever had that in my entire coaching career.
"So it means a lot. I want to do well."
His team, which climbed to the No. 22 spot in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll after its rout of USC last weekend, is on the back end of a difficult four-game stretch which included contests versus Wisconsin, Stanford and USC.
- The Pulse: ASU fans fear Stanford's Tyler Gaffney most
- Arizona State 60 minutes from punching ticket to first Rose Bowl in 17 years
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'We've got to take it' from Stanford
- Less than 5,000 tickets remain for Pac-12 Championship Game
- ASU students anxiously anticipate Pac-12 Championship
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Football Color Analyst - Friday December 6Is this the biggest game in ASU football history?