ASU's Graham on showdown with Notre Dame: 'We focus on us'
Graham told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday that when getting his players motivated for a big game, he avoids talking about their opponent.
"I don't spend much time focusing on the other team or any things like that because I don't think the kids really care about all that," Graham said. They care about winning the football game. They care about the goals that are in front of them and the investment they put into things. We focus on us."
Graham said he keeps the Sun Devils centered on themselves because his team is still susceptible to sloppy mistakes and not playing to their true ability.
"We are extremely talented, but we do not play to that talent when it comes to discipline all the time," Graham said. "And it's because we're just in the early stages of developing things and we've got to move that forward very quickly. So the last thing we need to be doing is focusing on anything outside our program."
He said the team has made at least five critical mistakes on defense in every game this year, which he defines as things like missed assignments and blown coverage, and added his squad still suffers from special teams woes.
In order to top Notre Dame, Graham said they need to prevent another showing like at Stanford where they were behind 29 points at the half.
"The key for us in this game is to mentally focus on doing our job, focus on our team," Graham said. "If you always do that, you give yourself the best chance to win."
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!