ESPN's Mark May: ASU missed opportunity against Notre Dame
The Devils only got to check off one of those two boxes, as they lost to Notre Dame 37-34 in the Shamrock Series game in Arlington, Tex. last Saturday.
Head coach Todd Graham is still very optimistic about his ASU's chances heading into the teeth of the Pac-12 season, as the South Division title is well within the team's grasp, even with two non-conference losses on its ledger.
"I think beating Notre Dame would have been a better statement because it was on a national stage, it was at a neutral site," ESPN college football analyst Mark May told Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "All eyes were on them, you had an opportunity to go out and show America about Arizona State football, and then first of all, you come out with those uniforms. Those helmets, I did not like.
"Second of all, you lose to Notre Dame when you had the opportunity to beat a team that just got decimated by Oklahoma the week before. That would have made the statement."
Many feel that the hardest part of the Sun Devils' schedule is behind them, but May disagrees, citing a home game against a very good Washington team in two weeks and a trip to Pullman to visit the resurgent Cougars of Washington State on Halloween night.
"This team could be a 7-5 or 6-6 football team," he said. "It all depends on how they come together and Todd Graham's got to do a great job of keeping this team together."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Arizona State dips in national polls after loss to Stanford in Pac-12 Championship
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition