ASU's Sutton named midseason All-American by USA Today
Sutton -- though he's averaging a pedestrian three tackles per game with 2.5 total tackles for loss and one sack -- earned a number of preseason recognitions. Sutton was named to the preseason watch lists for the Rotary Lombardi Award, awarded to the nation's most outstanding down lineman, and the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award.
Sutton was named the 2012 Pat Tillman Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and a consensus All-American after recording 23.5 tackles for loss and 13 sacks as a junior. Sutton elected to turn down the NFL and return to ASU for his senior season.
The 6-foot-1, 305-pounder is joined on the list by Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, Washington running back Bishop Sankey, UCLA offensive lineman Xavier Su'a-Filo and linebacker Anthony Barr, and Stanford safety Ed Reynolds and returner Ty Montgomery.
ASU's defense ranks fifth in the Pac-12 in total defense and ninth in scoring defense. Sutton is ASU's 10th-leading tackler. The Sun Devils continue their season on Saturday, when they host No. 20 Washington at 3 p.m. at Sun Devil Stadium.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.