Updated Oct 16, 2013 - 9:46 am
ASU AD Patterson casts aside rumors of departure to Texas
Now, 33 years later, Dodds' job is about to be up for grabs and rumors of Patterson's return to his alma mater to fill the opening have begun to swirl.
When asked Tuesday on The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta about the prospect of leaving for the moneyed Longhorns, however, the ASU athletic director was quick to downplay a potential departure.
"I was on the nine-year plan as an undergrad and law student there," Patterson said with a laugh. "I think I've done my time."
Patterson graduated with honors in 1980, earning a business administration degree, before going on to Texas School of Law, from where he graduated in 1984.
"I loved it," Patterson said of Austin, "but I love what I'm doing here."
The Wisconsin native took over as the ASU athletic director back in March of 2012, after spending time working in executive positions with the Houston Rockets, the Portland Trail Blazers and the Houston Texans.
"I think we're building something very special," Patterson went on. "We're starting the demolition of the north end zone, we've got a basketball program that's coming back, we've got good teams like volleyball and water polo."
With ASU's most visible teams on the rise -- with second-year coach Todd Graham at the helm of the football team and tenured coach Herb Sendek leading the basketball team -- and its always-competitive baseball team still in good form, Patterson has at least some reason to deny the whispers of his exit.
"What I get excited about is growing a program," he said.
"I'm excited to be here at ASU and I don't look forward to moving."
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!