Updated Oct 16, 2013 - 9:46 am
ASU AD Patterson casts aside rumors of departure to Texas
Now, 33 years later, Dodds' job is about to be up for grabs and rumors of Patterson's return to his alma mater to fill the opening have begun to swirl.
When asked Tuesday on The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta about the prospect of leaving for the moneyed Longhorns, however, the ASU athletic director was quick to downplay a potential departure.
"I was on the nine-year plan as an undergrad and law student there," Patterson said with a laugh. "I think I've done my time."
Patterson graduated with honors in 1980, earning a business administration degree, before going on to Texas School of Law, from where he graduated in 1984.
"I loved it," Patterson said of Austin, "but I love what I'm doing here."
The Wisconsin native took over as the ASU athletic director back in March of 2012, after spending time working in executive positions with the Houston Rockets, the Portland Trail Blazers and the Houston Texans.
"I think we're building something very special," Patterson went on. "We're starting the demolition of the north end zone, we've got a basketball program that's coming back, we've got good teams like volleyball and water polo."
With ASU's most visible teams on the rise -- with second-year coach Todd Graham at the helm of the football team and tenured coach Herb Sendek leading the basketball team -- and its always-competitive baseball team still in good form, Patterson has at least some reason to deny the whispers of his exit.
"What I get excited about is growing a program," he said.
"I'm excited to be here at ASU and I don't look forward to moving."
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.