Updated Oct 23, 2013 - 7:50 am
Arizona State AD Patterson: Sun Devils should be ranked right now
Yet, even though they just dismantled then-20th ranked Washington by a score of 53-24, they also find themselves outside of the top 25 in the polls.
Asked about his team's exclusion, ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta he feels the Devils have played well enough to be included.
"It's tough to get up there," he said. "It's tough if you've got two losses right now, but you beat the number 20 team in the country.
"Notre Dame was ranked at the beginning of the year, USC was ranked at the beginning of the year."
Patterson noted that ASU is 26th in the AP Top 25 Poll, so it is not as if the team is struggling for recognition.
Rankings or not, Patterson said the goal is for the Sun Devils to win the Pac-12 South and then a couple postseason games. Do that, and they'll definitely be ranked appropriately.
"I'd like to see us be back up there in the rankings," he said. "I think we ought to be."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?
- Rocky Harris, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Thursday December 12The aftermath of the Sun Devils loss to Stanford.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game