ASU's Todd Graham not worried about weather, focused on mental toughness
Come game time at Martin Stadium, the temperatures could be in the high 30s or low 40s and the conditions could be wet when the 25th-ranked Arizona State Sun Devils visit the Washington State Cougars in a nationally televised Thursday night ESPN tilt.
ASU head coach Todd Graham isn't too worried about it.
"Not at all, I haven't even looked at it to be real honest with you," the second-year head coach told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620. Graham said that despite his lack of concern about Mother Nature's effect, the coaches will prepare the players for the conditions.
"We'll tell them, just like we would any week, preparing them if we're going to have a wet ball," he said. "The main thing is just not to be distracted by all that. That's part of the game. We try to embrace it, more than worry about it.
"You don't ignore stuff like that, because it could be a factor in the game. Rain, sleet, snow, cold, hot, it doesn't matter -- you should take the approach of being mentally tough -- if not, it becomes an excuse."
ASU certainly isn't the first team to travel to the Palouse to play the Cougars, and plenty of visiting teams have played in far more adverse conditions.
In the last five seasons, Washington State is just 3-7 in home games played on Halloween or later. However, one of those wins came against Arizona State.
The Cougs downed the Devils 37-27 in November of 2011 behind quarterback Connor Halliday's 494 passing yards and four touchdowns. Kickoff temperature that night was 32 degrees.
"Well, last time you went up there, the weather was cold -- to me, that's an excuse for not being mentally prepared to play the game," Graham said. "This is a tough game for tough people and so you've got to play in all types of weather conditions."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!