Report: ASU athletic director Steve Patterson turned down offer with Texas
Patterson received his undergraduate and law degrees at Texas, which will need a new AD after DeLoss Dodds steps down in August 2014. Dodds' annual salary is $1.1 million.
According to Lockman:
In September, Patterson received a 15-month contract extension through June 2018 and an $85,000 raise. In turning down Texas's overture, Patterson presumably passed on the chance to make significantly more than his current salary of $450,000.
A source told Fox Sports that Texas never extended a formal agreement to Patterson, but that he did meet with university representatives and could have taken the job if he so desired.
Having previously worked for the Houston Texans and Houston Rockets, Patterson joined Arizona State in July 2011 as the chief operating officer for the athletic department. He had a big role in the ASU's hiring of football coach Todd Graham that year. He then replaced Lisa Love as athletic director in March 28, 2012.
About Patterson's time at ASU, Lockman said:
Patterson has spearheaded a number of major projects at ASU, including Sun Devil Stadium renovation efforts, creation of the 425-acre sports facilities district to be built adjacent to ASU's campus and negotiations to move ASU baseball's home games to Phoenix Municipal Stadium.
Patterson was also lauded this year for standing up to Notre Dame when it tried to back out of a 2014 football game in Tempe.
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.