ESPN analyst: Sun Devils must prove they can win on the road
Their losses came at Stanford and in a neutral site game against Notre Dame, so really the team has yet to prove it can enter a hostile environment and leave with a victory.
Until the Sun Devils prove they can do that, ESPN NCAA Football analyst Tom Luginbill says it's tough to know just how good the team is.
"I think you're for real if you can win on the road," he told Doug and Wolf Thursday. "And that's, I think, a trait that championship-caliber teams generally have, and I think it's something that remains to be seen with ASU."
Todd Graham's squad will get another chance to prove itself Thursday as they head to Pullman, Washington to battle the Washington State Cougars. Though Mike Leach's team is near the bottom of the Pac-12 North standings, Luginbill sees the improved team as a stiff challenge for Devils.
"You can't take Washington State lightly because they can put up points," he said. "It's not a great place to play -- not because of the crowd, not because of the effect, but because of getting there."
Luginbill talked about the trip to Martin Stadium being one of the most taxing in the country, adding that you cannot underestimate how that wears on visiting players.
The last time Arizona State made this trip was in 2011, when the 6-3 Sun Devils lost to a 3-6 Cougars by a score of 37-27. Connor Halliday, then a freshman and still the team's starting quarterback, threw for 494 yards and four touchdowns on the evening.
The Sun Devils are once again favored to win this game, but history has proven that does not mean much.
"I think this is a football team that is talented but has some things to prove when it comes to being able to deal with success," Luginbill said of ASU. "That's as much, to me, about growing a program is dealing with adversity or when things don't go your way.
"But when people are telling you you're pretty good or expecting you to be pretty good, then going out and being pretty good. I think that's the next step for ASU."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU's Will Sutton a USA Today All-American
- ASU's Todd Graham a finalist for Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Final
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.