Updated Oct 31, 2013 - 3:21 pm
ASU's Patterson won't confirm nor deny Texas AD candidacy
That's all we know.
There have been conflicting reports on whether or not Arizona State AD Steve Patterson is or was a candidate for the Texas opening. Tyler Lockman of FoxSportsArizona.com reported Wednesday that while there was no formal offer made to Patterson by Texas, the job was his if he wanted it. The report also said Patterson turned down the job.
Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated refuted that Thursday on Twitter.
Source tells me that Arizona State AD Steve Patterson was not interviewed by the committee hiring the AD or offered the job.— Pete Thamel (@SIPeteThamel) October 31, 2013
Patterson himself joined Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday, and didn't do much to confirm or deny any rumored connection to UT.
"I don't know," Patterson answered when asked if he is a candidate. "I don't know who's going to be the next one and you see names pop up all the time in this industry."
Asked whether he had been contacted by anyone connected with the University of Texas, he dodged a little more.
"Without trying to be cute, it depends on what your definition of 'attachment' is. Lots of people are attached to UT and they call me all the time," Patterson answered. "I don't see anything happening at this juncture, I'm really focused on trying to get a win tonight and giving away a little candy in the meantime."
When pressed more specifically by Gambadoro about whether Patterson had been contacted by anyone associated with UT's search committee, Patterson was a little more direct.
"No, no," he answered. "That would be a 'no.'"
As far as Wednesday's report that he turned down the job, Patterson again didn't have much to say.
"I'm not confirming any report," he said. "I'm focused on the job I've got right here today."
Patterson became Arizona State's vice president of athletics in 2012, replacing Lisa Love. He is a graduate of the University of Texas and got his law degree from the same institution.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.