Updated Oct 31, 2013 - 3:21 pm
ASU's Patterson won't confirm nor deny Texas AD candidacy
That's all we know.
There have been conflicting reports on whether or not Arizona State AD Steve Patterson is or was a candidate for the Texas opening. Tyler Lockman of FoxSportsArizona.com reported Wednesday that while there was no formal offer made to Patterson by Texas, the job was his if he wanted it. The report also said Patterson turned down the job.
Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated refuted that Thursday on Twitter.
Source tells me that Arizona State AD Steve Patterson was not interviewed by the committee hiring the AD or offered the job.— Pete Thamel (@SIPeteThamel) October 31, 2013
Patterson himself joined Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday, and didn't do much to confirm or deny any rumored connection to UT.
"I don't know," Patterson answered when asked if he is a candidate. "I don't know who's going to be the next one and you see names pop up all the time in this industry."
Asked whether he had been contacted by anyone connected with the University of Texas, he dodged a little more.
"Without trying to be cute, it depends on what your definition of 'attachment' is. Lots of people are attached to UT and they call me all the time," Patterson answered. "I don't see anything happening at this juncture, I'm really focused on trying to get a win tonight and giving away a little candy in the meantime."
When pressed more specifically by Gambadoro about whether Patterson had been contacted by anyone associated with UT's search committee, Patterson was a little more direct.
"No, no," he answered. "That would be a 'no.'"
As far as Wednesday's report that he turned down the job, Patterson again didn't have much to say.
"I'm not confirming any report," he said. "I'm focused on the job I've got right here today."
Patterson became Arizona State's vice president of athletics in 2012, replacing Lisa Love. He is a graduate of the University of Texas and got his law degree from the same institution.
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.