Updated Oct 31, 2013 - 3:21 pm
ASU's Patterson won't confirm nor deny Texas AD candidacy
That's all we know.
There have been conflicting reports on whether or not Arizona State AD Steve Patterson is or was a candidate for the Texas opening. Tyler Lockman of FoxSportsArizona.com reported Wednesday that while there was no formal offer made to Patterson by Texas, the job was his if he wanted it. The report also said Patterson turned down the job.
Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated refuted that Thursday on Twitter.
Source tells me that Arizona State AD Steve Patterson was not interviewed by the committee hiring the AD or offered the job.— Pete Thamel (@SIPeteThamel) October 31, 2013
Patterson himself joined Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday, and didn't do much to confirm or deny any rumored connection to UT.
"I don't know," Patterson answered when asked if he is a candidate. "I don't know who's going to be the next one and you see names pop up all the time in this industry."
Asked whether he had been contacted by anyone connected with the University of Texas, he dodged a little more.
"Without trying to be cute, it depends on what your definition of 'attachment' is. Lots of people are attached to UT and they call me all the time," Patterson answered. "I don't see anything happening at this juncture, I'm really focused on trying to get a win tonight and giving away a little candy in the meantime."
When pressed more specifically by Gambadoro about whether Patterson had been contacted by anyone associated with UT's search committee, Patterson was a little more direct.
"No, no," he answered. "That would be a 'no.'"
As far as Wednesday's report that he turned down the job, Patterson again didn't have much to say.
"I'm not confirming any report," he said. "I'm focused on the job I've got right here today."
Patterson became Arizona State's vice president of athletics in 2012, replacing Lisa Love. He is a graduate of the University of Texas and got his law degree from the same institution.
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.