Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 3:14 pm
Arizona State's Zane Gonzalez semifinalist for Lou Groza Award
The award, which is presented by the Orange Bowl Committee, is given to the nation's top placekicker each year. Gonzalez, a true freshman, leads all FBS kickers with 11.6 points per game and has made 13 straight field goals dating back to the Sun Devils' game against USC on Sept. 28.
Gonzalez is the fourth Sun Devil to be named a semifinalist for the Groza Award, the first since Thomas Weber won it in 2007. He's made 85 percent of his field goal attempts and is 42-of-43 on extra point attempts. Against Washington, Gonzalez tied the ASU record for most field goals in a game, converting all four of his attempts in the win.
Gonzalez's 17 made field goals already place him 10th in Sun Devil history, 11 behind Luis Zendejas' record of 28 set in 1983.
The three finalists will be announced on Nov. 25 and the winner of the award will be announced on Dec. 12 on ESPN at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.