Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 3:14 pm
Arizona State's Zane Gonzalez semifinalist for Lou Groza Award
The award, which is presented by the Orange Bowl Committee, is given to the nation's top placekicker each year. Gonzalez, a true freshman, leads all FBS kickers with 11.6 points per game and has made 13 straight field goals dating back to the Sun Devils' game against USC on Sept. 28.
Gonzalez is the fourth Sun Devil to be named a semifinalist for the Groza Award, the first since Thomas Weber won it in 2007. He's made 85 percent of his field goal attempts and is 42-of-43 on extra point attempts. Against Washington, Gonzalez tied the ASU record for most field goals in a game, converting all four of his attempts in the win.
Gonzalez's 17 made field goals already place him 10th in Sun Devil history, 11 behind Luis Zendejas' record of 28 set in 1983.
The three finalists will be announced on Nov. 25 and the winner of the award will be announced on Dec. 12 on ESPN at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.