Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 3:14 pm
Arizona State's Zane Gonzalez semifinalist for Lou Groza Award
The award, which is presented by the Orange Bowl Committee, is given to the nation's top placekicker each year. Gonzalez, a true freshman, leads all FBS kickers with 11.6 points per game and has made 13 straight field goals dating back to the Sun Devils' game against USC on Sept. 28.
Gonzalez is the fourth Sun Devil to be named a semifinalist for the Groza Award, the first since Thomas Weber won it in 2007. He's made 85 percent of his field goal attempts and is 42-of-43 on extra point attempts. Against Washington, Gonzalez tied the ASU record for most field goals in a game, converting all four of his attempts in the win.
Gonzalez's 17 made field goals already place him 10th in Sun Devil history, 11 behind Luis Zendejas' record of 28 set in 1983.
The three finalists will be announced on Nov. 25 and the winner of the award will be announced on Dec. 12 on ESPN at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.