ASU's Graham: Quarterback Taylor Kelly is 'a great student of the game'
While Kelly's stats are great, what impresses head coach Todd Graham the most about his quarterback is his intangibles.
"He really is a great student of the game," Graham said Monday. "I think he has as good of a grasp as even maybe some of our coaches have. He has that kind of intelligence. He's a very selfless person, so he will listen."
Graham said he spends a lot of time talking to Kelly during practice, though not about his execution; offensive coordinator Mike Norvell doesn't let Graham get involved with that aspect of Kelly's game. Instead, Graham said he preps Kelly on how defenses will play against him and informs him on what he does well.
Graham also praised Kelly for his leadership and willingness to learn.
"Every so often, he makes a mistake or two, and down the stretch we have to make sure we minimize those, but he learns from them," Graham said. "(He's a) very humble guy. Genuine too. I mean he's genuine and I think our team really follows him, and he's a great leader. The intangibles are so much more important."
Though Graham is known for being a defensive-minded coach, he admitted how important a quarterback is to the team's success.
"To win a championship, you have to have a quarterback," Graham said. "I used to not say that, you say, 'One person doesn't matter that much.' Yes they do. You have to have a quarterback, period. If you don't have one, then it's pretty tough to win a championship."
Graham said he's happy to have Kelly at the helm, and believes the redshirt junior will only improve going forward.
"He utilizes the components that he has and doesn't try to do too much," Graham said. "He's gotten better every single week."
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!