ASU's Graham: Quarterback Taylor Kelly is 'a great student of the game'
While Kelly's stats are great, what impresses head coach Todd Graham the most about his quarterback is his intangibles.
"He really is a great student of the game," Graham said Monday. "I think he has as good of a grasp as even maybe some of our coaches have. He has that kind of intelligence. He's a very selfless person, so he will listen."
Graham said he spends a lot of time talking to Kelly during practice, though not about his execution; offensive coordinator Mike Norvell doesn't let Graham get involved with that aspect of Kelly's game. Instead, Graham said he preps Kelly on how defenses will play against him and informs him on what he does well.
Graham also praised Kelly for his leadership and willingness to learn.
"Every so often, he makes a mistake or two, and down the stretch we have to make sure we minimize those, but he learns from them," Graham said. "(He's a) very humble guy. Genuine too. I mean he's genuine and I think our team really follows him, and he's a great leader. The intangibles are so much more important."
Though Graham is known for being a defensive-minded coach, he admitted how important a quarterback is to the team's success.
"To win a championship, you have to have a quarterback," Graham said. "I used to not say that, you say, 'One person doesn't matter that much.' Yes they do. You have to have a quarterback, period. If you don't have one, then it's pretty tough to win a championship."
Graham said he's happy to have Kelly at the helm, and believes the redshirt junior will only improve going forward.
"He utilizes the components that he has and doesn't try to do too much," Graham said. "He's gotten better every single week."
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.