Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 4:56 pm
Arizona State University loses AD Steve Patterson to Texas
As first reported by Chip Brown of OrangeBloods.com, Steve Patterson has accepted the same position with the University of Texas.
The A.D. position at Texas is widely considered to be one of the best in college sports.
"It's been agreed to by both sides," the source said.
Patterson's marketing and management skills and no-nonsense approach - he helped oversee changing out nearly 100 people in two years at Arizona State - proved to be the difference.
Patterson was the choice over West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck, the other finalist for the job.
According to Austin American-Statesman sports columnist Kirk Bohls, Patterson had "unanimous support" from the Texas hiring committee and will make more than $1 million per year.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo last week, Patterson said he would not confirm any report that he was a candidate at Texas or had turned down an offer from the school.
"I'm focused on the job I've got right here today," he said then.
But the chance to go to Texas, where Patterson earned both an undergraduate and law degree, was apparently too good to pass on.
Patterson, 55, had been the A.D. at Arizona State since March 28, 2012, when he assumed the role in place of Lisa Love. He is credited for the hire of football coach Todd Graham, the baseball team's move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium and the upgrades that are set for Sun Devil Stadium.
Where his departure leaves the school -- especially with regards to the SDS renovation -- remains to be seen. The Arizona Republic's Jeff Metcalfe is reporting Senior Vice President James Rund will take over as AD on an interim basis.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!