Todd Graham and Dennis Erickson to cross paths one more time
Todd Graham had just been hired as head coach. The man he replaced, Dennis Erickson, fired weeks earlier after losing the final four regular season games in 2011, was staying on to finish his fifth year coaching the Sun Devils by leading them against Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl.
Incoming head coach sat down with outgoing head coach.
"When I was hired he was very gracious," Graham said. "I asked for the opportunity to visit with him and he visited with me and was very gracious; just kind of gave me the lay of the land. Nothing but respect from my standpoint for him, a guy that has national championship rings on his fingers."
Graham and Erickson may run into one another again this week when ASU visits Utah.
After a year away from the game, Erickson came out of retirement. He was hired in February to join Utah as co-offensive coordinator with Brian Johnson under head coach Kyle Whittingham.
Utah (4-4, 1-4) is coming off its bye. And while they have struggled lately, losing three of four, their most recent win came against No. 5 Stanford, 27-21.
"Obviously got tremendous respect for Coach Erickson. He'll be a hall of fame coach," Graham said. "Very grateful for the job that he did here bringing young men like Taylor Kelly and Fink (Evan Finkenberg) and Will Sutton and Alden Darby. I was very, very fortunate to be at a place that had really quality people that really was a great fit for me. Nothing but respect there."
The feeling is mutual. Erickson was one of the first to congratulate Graham and what were now his former players after ASU beat Arizona last season, 41-34.
"He was very gracious last year when we won the Territorial Cup and dropped us a line," Graham said. "Really appreciated that."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice stars for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?