Todd Graham and Dennis Erickson to cross paths one more time
Todd Graham had just been hired as head coach. The man he replaced, Dennis Erickson, fired weeks earlier after losing the final four regular season games in 2011, was staying on to finish his fifth year coaching the Sun Devils by leading them against Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl.
Incoming head coach sat down with outgoing head coach.
"When I was hired he was very gracious," Graham said. "I asked for the opportunity to visit with him and he visited with me and was very gracious; just kind of gave me the lay of the land. Nothing but respect from my standpoint for him, a guy that has national championship rings on his fingers."
Graham and Erickson may run into one another again this week when ASU visits Utah.
After a year away from the game, Erickson came out of retirement. He was hired in February to join Utah as co-offensive coordinator with Brian Johnson under head coach Kyle Whittingham.
Utah (4-4, 1-4) is coming off its bye. And while they have struggled lately, losing three of four, their most recent win came against No. 5 Stanford, 27-21.
"Obviously got tremendous respect for Coach Erickson. He'll be a hall of fame coach," Graham said. "Very grateful for the job that he did here bringing young men like Taylor Kelly and Fink (Evan Finkenberg) and Will Sutton and Alden Darby. I was very, very fortunate to be at a place that had really quality people that really was a great fit for me. Nothing but respect there."
The feeling is mutual. Erickson was one of the first to congratulate Graham and what were now his former players after ASU beat Arizona last season, 41-34.
"He was very gracious last year when we won the Territorial Cup and dropped us a line," Graham said. "Really appreciated that."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?