Lansbury: Mistake to recycle `Murder, She Wrote'
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Angela Lansbury says "it's a mistake" for NBC to call a new series "Murder, She Wrote."
The network recently announced plans to reboot the show with Oscar-winner Octavia Spencer as its star. Spencer acknowledged her new TV project on Twitter last month.
Lansbury, who will accept an honorary Academy Award later this week, said "Murder, She Wrote" was her "greatest doorway to the world."
"I suddenly became a worldwide-known character as Jessica Fletcher and really built an enormous audience, which I have to this day," the 88-year-old said in a weekend telephone interview from her New York home. "That was the thing that really made me a star in the minds of everybody."
Lansbury had three Oscar nominations and four Tony Awards when she joined the CBS drama, which aired from 1984 to 1996, earning her 12 consecutive Emmy nominations and international acclaim.
She's sensitive about the show's reinvention.
"I think it's a mistake to call it `Murder, She Wrote,'" Lansbury said, "because `Murder, She Wrote' will always be about a Cabot Cove and this wonderful little group of people who told those lovely stories and enjoyed a piece of that place, and also enjoyed Jessica Fletcher, who is a rare and very individual kind of person ...
"So I'm sorry that they have to use the title `Murder, She Wrote,' even though they have access to it and it's their right."
Lansbury said she admires Spencer's work.
"I saw her in `The Help' and thought she was absolutely wonderful, a lovely actress," Lansbury said. "So I wish her well, but I wish it wasn't in `Murder, She Wrote.'"
Representatives for Spencer didn't respond to an email from the AP seeking comment.
Follow AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen at http://www.twitter.com/APSandy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!