ABC News' Amy Robach diagnosed with breast cancer
While Robach was reluctant to get a breast exam in front of millions of viewers last month during the "GMA" October Pink initiative, little did she know how important it would be.
"That day, when I was asked to do something I really didn't want to do, something I had put off for more than a year, I had no way of knowing that I was in a life-or-death situation," she revealed in a blog post.
Weeks later, Robach thought she was going in for follow-up appointment, but it was then when doctors revealed her diagnosis.
Robach considered it virtually impossible for her to have cancer, writing, "I take care of myself and I have very little family history."
As for what's ahead, Robach will go into surgery on Thursday to get a bilateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.
"Only then will I know more about what that fight will fully entail, but I am mentally and physically as prepared as anyone can be in this situation," she wrote.
While the shocking news was seemingly hard to take at first, Robach is thankful she got checked and hopes her story inspires all woman to do the same.
"It is the difference between life and death," she wrote.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was