ABC News' Amy Robach diagnosed with breast cancer
While Robach was reluctant to get a breast exam in front of millions of viewers last month during the "GMA" October Pink initiative, little did she know how important it would be.
"That day, when I was asked to do something I really didn't want to do, something I had put off for more than a year, I had no way of knowing that I was in a life-or-death situation," she revealed in a blog post.
Weeks later, Robach thought she was going in for follow-up appointment, but it was then when doctors revealed her diagnosis.
Robach considered it virtually impossible for her to have cancer, writing, "I take care of myself and I have very little family history."
As for what's ahead, Robach will go into surgery on Thursday to get a bilateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.
"Only then will I know more about what that fight will fully entail, but I am mentally and physically as prepared as anyone can be in this situation," she wrote.
While the shocking news was seemingly hard to take at first, Robach is thankful she got checked and hopes her story inspires all woman to do the same.
"It is the difference between life and death," she wrote.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!