Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 6:58 pm
Oregon State QB Sean Mannion: ASU's defense will 'present a lot of different challenges'
Beavers quarterback Sean Mannion leads the nation with 3,540 yards passing and is tied for second with 32 touchdown tosses. Mannion's favorite target this year has been junior receiver Brandin Cooks, who leads the country with 1,344 receiving yards and is second with 14 touchdown catches.
"He has a lot of talent and he works extremely hard, and that's why we've been so successful," Mannion said of Cooks on Tuesday while on Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo show Tuesday. "This is our third year together. So I think we've thrown a lot of balls to each other. We have an idea of where each other is going to be, and I think we have our timing down pretty good by now."
Despite his team's success in the passing game all year, Mannion acknowledged that Saturday's showdown in Tempe won't be a walk in the park for the Beavers offense.
"They're an outstanding defense. I think they're going to present a lot of different challenges," the junior quarterback said. "Arizona State is a team full of athletes. I think they've got a real good (defensive) front, especially (Will) Sutton's obviously one of the best players in the conference; he'll be a challenge for us to handle.
"I think as long as we study up and just focus on our assignments and our execution, I think we'll have a good chance."
When asked if the road game will present additional challenges, Mannion said his team doesn't really get fazed by playing away from Reser Stadium. The Beavers' 4-0 record in away games this year backs up his claim.
"Our program does a real good job of trying to keep everything pretty uniform in terms of our routine -- whether we're at home or on the road," the 21-year-old said. "As a player, I treat it pretty much the same. Even for home games, we stay in the hotel, so that's nothing new. I honestly just try not to really think about it."
The Sun Devils will be putting up their 5-0 mark at Sun Devil Stadium this season against the Beavers' success on the road, so a first defeat is coming for whichever team falls short.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- What's On Your Mind - Friday March 14Vince shares what's on his mind today, including his haters on Twitter.
- It’s Paul’s Call with Paul Calvisi - Friday March 14Steve Smith sounds off
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 12Ray Anderson talks about the state of ASU athletics.
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.