ASU's Todd Graham: UCLA the biggest game he's coached in
With all due respect to that accomplishment, Arizona State's game against UCLA at the Rose Bowl is by far the biggest and most important game in Graham's coaching career.
"That Notre Dame win was pretty special, I think we were 21-point underdogs or something like that," Graham told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "But yeah, (the UCLA game) is one we want pretty bad."
With a victory, the 17th-ranked Sun Devils would win the Pac-12 South and claim their spot in the conference championship game December 7. Winning a title, even a division title, would be a huge accomplishment for Arizona State in only Graham's second year at the helm.
"That's what you work for, all the work that's gone in, coming in, putting a plan in -- you know, we had a very definitive plan when we came in here, and we've been very blessed that I inherited a great situation because we have great young people," he said. "It would mean the world to me. Football is a passion for me, it's not a job. That's why I came here, because I want to win Pac-12 championships, I want to win Rose Bowl championships and eventually a national championship."
A loss to the 14th-ranked Bruins wouldn't eliminate ASU from the South race, but it would certainly make their path there a lot more difficult. The Sun Devils would need to beat Arizona next Saturday and then count on USC to beat UCLA at the Coliseum.
But going into the game against UCLA, Graham sounds confident that his team won't need any help to clinch the South.
"I think our team is a much better team than people even think they are, these guys really play well together and we're playing our best football right now."
The game kicks off at 5:00 p.m. Phoenix time Saturday, and you can hear all the action on Arizona Sports 620 with Tim Healey, Jeff Van Raaphorst and Doug Franz on the call.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?