Let's face it, Tempe is better than Pittsburgh
Arizona State University is in a major metropolitan area with four professional franchises. The University of Pittsburgh is in a major metropolitan area with three professional franchises. Arizona State University's football team has had flash points of success on a national level but nothing sustained. The University of Pittsburgh's football team has had periods of sustained success, but those are so long ago you wouldn't know it without Wikipedia. Arizona State University has a terrible attendance problem. The University of Pittsburgh has a terrible attendance problem.
It begs the question, why couldn't the same man do in Pittsburgh what he's done in Tempe? Obviously, there was some talent here for Coach Graham, but don't say the uneducated line, "He won with Erickson's guys."
First off, Coach Erickson didn't win with Erickson's guys. Secondly, D.J. Foster, Marion Grice, Jaxon Hood and Jalaen Strong are not Erickson's guys. Lastly on this point, there is no way Taylor Kelly was seen as the answer or would have developed into the player he has under the former coaching staff. This is the work of Todd Graham.
Todd Graham lost a division championship in his first year on a late field goal. Todd Graham won a division championship at ASU in only his second year. Todd Graham is one win away from bringing a championship game to the Tempe economy in his second year.
The national media won't rise up in a massive recantation. They'll just move on to the next story somewhere else. The truth of the matter is that the University of Pittsburgh will look at the success and scream in frustration. They'll claim that should have been them. That's not reality. The reason why the University of Pittsburgh didn't have the same success under Todd Graham is the fault of Pitt's administration. They ran to the national media to save them from people that jump from their "commitments," but they didn't want to be judged for jumping conferences.
Todd Graham has brought a winner to Tempe for two reasons. Todd Graham is a winner, and Arizona State University is not the University of Pittsburgh. The national media won't re-examine their positions on Todd Graham for a few more years. ASU won't care what the national media does. ASU will just happily invite the national media to town for the Pac-12 Championship Game with Todd Graham as its host.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?