Fork Report: Sun Devils demolish Wildcats; Territorial Cup stays in Tempe
Arizona State (10-2) scored early and often in a 58-21 pounding of the Arizona Wildcats Saturday night at Sun Devil Stadium.
Quarterback Taylor Kelly threw for 274 yards and two touchdowns and D.J. Foster, who was filling in for the injured Marion Grice, ran for a career-high 124 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries.
Kelly completed passes to eight different receivers, including Jaelen Strong, who had four catches for 142 yards and a back-breaking 61-yard touchdown late in the third quarter.
ASU's defense bent but didn't break. Arizona's record-setting running back Ka'Deem Carey had 157 yards on 32 carries, but was stopped three times on fourth-and-one opportunities -- including two in the first half.
Little-used tight end De'Marieya Nelson saw his workload increase in Grice's absence too, and the junior college transfer made the most of it. Nelson had eight carries for 35 yards and two touchdowns, caught one pass for 21 yards and forced and recovered a fumble on a second-half kick return.
For the second straight week, ASU's offense dominated in the first half and stagnated early in the second half. The Sun Devils gained just three net yards on their first two possessions of the half, but then struck big with the touchdown to Strong on their third possession.
When It Was Over:
You could certainly make an argument that the game was over before it began, but Damarious Randall's 64-yard interception return in the third quarter sealed the deal. On a third and four at the ASU 38-yard line, Randall stepped in front of a telegraphed slant pass from B.J. Denker and took it to the house to put ASU up 37-14.
He Said It:
"We were just successful at playing them last year, and Coach Graham is a great guy with schemes. He felt like we should go back to our regular game plan that we used against them last year since we shut them down. It worked for us tonight." -- Arizona State cornerback Osahon Irabor
- ASU's 58 points are the most-ever scored in a Territorial Cup matchup. The previous high was 56 from ASU in 1996.
- Attendance: 72,542. This is the 12th-largest crowd in Sun Devil Stadium history
- Arizona running back Ka'Deem Carey has rushed for 100+ yards in 15-straight games, continuing to lead all FBS players. His eight-yard TD run was his 50th career TD and his 46th career rushing TD.
- The Sun Devils have now forced a turnover in 26-straight games and in all 25 with Graham at head coach.
- With Taylor Kelly's 38-yard passing touchdown, he now possesses the Sun Devil record for most points responsible for in a single season. He now has 210 after being tied for the record entering tonight at 198 with Mike Pagel, a record set in 1981.
ASU will host Stanford (10-2), the champions of the Pac-12 North, at Sun Devil Stadium next Saturday with a trip to the Rose Bowl on the line.
Stanford beat Arizona State 42-28 in September, handing the Sun Devils their only Pac-12 loss of the season.
Kickoff next week is at 5:45 p.m.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?