Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton experiments with play calling in Territorial Cup victory
Arizona turned the ball over on downs three times in Saturday's Territorial Cup. On two of those instances, Sutton took the responsibility from Coach Todd Graham's hands and called the plays himself.
"I told him I'll start letting you call them [plays]," Graham explained. "He said, ‘Hey we ought to run this based on the way they're blocking it.' So I guess I'm going to start having him call the defenses."
Both plays required no room for error on fourth-and-short situations inside ASU territory. Sutton told his unit during a timeout what they were going to run, and they executed it perfectly.
Ka'Deem Carey was stopped for a seven-yard loss in the first quarter on 4th and 2 from the Sun Devils' 40-yard line, and then for no gain on 4th and 1 in the second quarter at the Sun Devils' 45-yard line.
Collectively, ASU's defense forced four turnovers, was responsible for an interception return touchdown from Damarious Randall and never allowed the Wildcats to muster any sort of legitimate comeback in the second half.
"That's a real defense," Graham noted as he read over the stats from the game.
When the game was officially over, Sutton hoisted the hotly-desired Territorial Cup as he jogged around the field so the fans could relish in their team's accomplishment.
Sun Devil nation sure knows he deserves it for all he's done both on the field and in Saturday night's case, as a play-caller, too.
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.