Updated Dec 2, 2013 - 1:15 pm
Repeat! Will Sutton wins Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year award for second time
Arizona State's Will Sutton did it again: The senior defensive lineman won the Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year for the second year in a row.
"It's crazy," Sutton said Monday. "Coach Graham called me last night, and I thought I was in trouble. I thought, 'Should I answer or not.' Then I finally answered. And when he told me, I sounded like a kid on Christmas. My voice got all high-pitched and I got all excited.
"I didn't think I'd get the Defensive Player of the Year award again, because my numbers are down and everything. I thought, 'Oh well.' But we are winning, so it didn't matter to me. Winning it is crazy."
The senior had three sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss on the season. He was the key anchor of a defense that led the conference in turnovers, was third in total defense and second in sacks.
Sutton is the second player to win the conference defensive player of the year twice in his career. The other was Washington's defensive tackle Steve Emtman.
"We're very thrilled to keep the Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year right here at Arizona State," head coach Todd Graham said. "That's one of our main goals every year. That's one that bears the name of a great Sun Devil. We want that to be a trophy won by one of our players each year.
"Obviously, you know the emphasis we put on defense. That's the foundation of our program. Everything we're going to do with a defensive mentality. So, I'm very proud of Will. I think Will will tell you that's a great reflection of our defense."
Sutton wasn't the only Sun Devil taking home conference hardware Monday. Graham was named the Pac-12 Coach of the Year, and six players (Chris Coyle, Evan Finkenberg, Sutton, Alden Darby, Robert Nelson and Zane Gonzalez) made the All-Pac-12 First Team.
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.