ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
Second-year coach Todd Graham has the Sun Devils prepared to play host to Stanford in the third Pac-12 Championship Game and the first in program history. And with a trip to the Rose Bowl on the line, the anticipation has incited memories of the team's last trip to Pasadena, in 1996, when Harris was merely an undergrad.
"I haven't seen this type of excitement since then and even maybe that year," Harris told The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Thursday.
Although the game is produced by the conference, Harris is thrilled with the privilege to host it, sharing that he believed it would be a sellout. Because production is out of ASU's hands, there will be no pre-game fireworks or pro-Sun Devil videos on the docket.
"It is a somewhat neutral game," Harris explained. "I wouldn't call it neutral, though, with 68,000 ASU fans and 2,500 Stanford fans, that's not very neutral.
"But they're trying to make it so it's as fair as possible for the opposing team."
What's more? Stanford has had so much trouble selling their portion of tickets that they sent back a share to Arizona State yesterday, according to Harris.
"Stanford returned about a quarter of theirs which, to me, I'd rather have a quarter empty seats than a quarter in red or cardinal cheering on their team," he told the show.
Kickoff is scheduled for 5:45 p.m. Saturday at Sun Devil Stadium.
Remaining tickets can be purchased online, by calling (480) 965-5333 or at the Sun Devil Stadium box office.
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.