Sun Devil Stadium's latest malfunctions demonstrate need for rebuild
And, despite the 38-14 Cardinal drubbing in the Pac-12 Championship game, off-the-field happenings at the game did just as much for such progress.
As noted on air by ESPN play-by-play broadcaster Brad Nessler, a loss of lighting affected the game -- resulting not only in a layer of black shadows on the field but also becoming, for ASU senior associate athletic director Rocky Harris and staff, a black eye for the program.
The Pac-12 Championship game wasn't the only game at the venue that had its share of off-the-field issues. The previous week, during the contest for the Territorial Cup versus Arizona, Sun Devil Stadium had other malfunctions.
"When we played U of A, the restrooms went out on one level of our stadium," Harris told The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta.
"And last week the lighting had some issues," he said.
"With restrooms going out and issues with the lighting, those are basic amenities that fans expect that we're not able to deliver."
Plans, then, to rebuild Sun Devil Stadium are yet awaiting capital and the fundraising for such, Harris says, could come in an expedited fashion, thanks in part to the embarrassing facilities glitches.
The stadium, which first opened in 1958, now seats more than 70,000 and has played host not only to ASU in the past, but also to the Arizona Cardinals, the Fiesta Bowl, the Insight Bowl, the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, and, once, the San Diego Chargers due to wildfires in southern California.
Yet, much of the original structure has yet to undergo renovations.
"It's the original plumbing that was installed 30-40 years ago," Harris told the show.
Despite the departure of Steve Patterson -- the "glue" who held the rebuild plans together, according to Harris, construction plans remain on schedule, although an actual date for the new Sun Devil Stadium hasn't been set.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.