Updated Dec 18, 2013 - 9:59 am
ASU promotes Mike Norvell to role of deputy head coach
"I am committed to the long-term success of this program under the leadership of Todd Graham," ASU President Dr. Michael Crow said. "Rewarding the skills of a master teacher like Mike Norvell is a demonstration of that commitment. Coach Norvell's performance as offensive coordinator has been nationally recognized, and this promotion reflects the remarkable track record he has established in the last two years at ASU."
Norvell has run the Sun Devils' offense the last two seasons, and the team has amassed more than 12,000 total yards and 1,032 points under his guidance. Because of that, the 32-year-old was a popular name in head coaching rumors.
This move will keep him in Tempe.
"I work with a world-class head coach and staff, and have the opportunity every day to teach world-class student-athletes at one of the top public universities in the world," coach Norvell said. "I am proud of what we have accomplished in two years here, but I remain devoted to our ultimate goal of bringing a championship to the valley."
Norvell was nominated for the Broyles Award, which is given annually to the nation's most outstanding assistant coach. The Sun Devils averaged 41 points per game, finishing ninth in the country in scoring, 19th in first downs, 28th in passing offense and 29th in total offense.
"In addition to his offensive prowess, coach Norvell is one of the greatest teachers I've ever worked with," coach Graham said. "Character, discipline and work ethic are all ideals he not only stresses, but holds himself to as well. His ability to connect and motivate young people is unparalleled, and I'm looking forward to coaching with him for many years to come."
In addition to running the offense, Norvell has also served as the team's quarterback coach. Under his stewardship, Taylor Kelly has transformed into one of the nation's most productive quarterbacks.
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!