ASU deputy coach and OC Mike Norvell: 'I'm excited about being part' of program's rise
By Wednesday morning, he was promoted to the title of deputy head coach -- a promotion that keeps him in Tempe at least in the short term.
Norvell, who was nominated for the Broyles Award (given annually to the nation's most outstanding assistant coach), was a guest on Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo, admitted that he was thankful for the school's decision to promote him.
"It's obviously an exciting day for me and my family and obviously the commitment and where we feel the program is headed to," Norvell said. "It's really just a happy day."
Under Norvell's direction the past two seasons, ASU's offense has amassed more than 12,000 total yards and 1,032 points. In 2013 alone, the Sun Devils finishing ninth in the country in scoring, 19th in first downs, 28th in passing offense and 29th in total offense.
While the gaudy numbers have the 32-year-old an attractive head coaching candidate, Norvell said that his only focus right now is helping ASU build its way towards becoming a national powerhouse.
"I think [the decision to stay] is just about what I think of our program and where we are at right now at ASU and where we can get to," said Norvell. "I feel like this year was a good year. We got to the doorstep of our goals. I'm excited about being a part of it and continuing to grow and achieve those goals and bring a championship to Tempe."
Although Norvell, who starred as a four-year receiver at Central Arkansas, noted that the interest was substantial at Arkansas State, Todd Graham's long-time assistant said he couldn't walk away from the commitment both the school and the football program had made to him.
"With the commitment that ASU has made to me and where this football program is going to, I'm just excited to be a part of it," said Norvell. "I'm very grateful to President [Michael Crow], Dr. [James] Rund, Coach Graham and every in a position of power that has made a great commitment to me and my family. I'm excited about where we are headed to."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.