Updated Dec 24, 2013 - 12:37 pm
Chris Thomsen 'great resource' for ASU in Holiday Bowl prep
See, this time a year ago, Sun Devils offensive line coach Chris Thomsen was getting Texas Tech ready to play Minnesota in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.
Weeks earlier, Thomsen had been named interim head coach, replacing Tommy Tuberville who had accepted the job at Cincinnati.
"Really good group, much like our group here," Thomsen said looking back on his time in Lubbock. "When you got those kind of guys it makes your job easier. That's what I remember; just strong senior leadership helped us through that."
They did more than just get through that difficult transition. They won. Texas Tech defeated Minnesota 34-31.
Fast forward one year and Thomsen now finds himself lined up across from many of those same players he once shared the sideline with.
ASU (10-3) plays Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl on Monday, December 30; the two school's first meeting since 1999 and only the second-ever in the modern era.
"Great resource," head coach Todd Graham said of his first-year offensive line coach. "He knows them very well. He has great things to say about their personnel. Obviously knows their offensive guys extremely well. He's been a good resource for us."
Just how much assistance can Thomsen give?
"From a personnel standpoint, you've been around guys. You know what they're about," he said. "There's some guys on that team that you definitely have to try to take away that can beat you. I've seen Jace Amaro, the tight end (unanimous first-team All-American) who in my mind is a first-round draft pick, single-handedly beat people. He's a special player.
"Probably from a personnel standpoint more than anything, because what's on film schematically you can see that."
With Thomsen, Texas Tech went 8-5 last season. This season he stands in their way of a second straight eight-win campaign.
"It's going to be fun seeing those guys," he said. "It'll be fun to compete against them."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.