Updated Jan 7, 2014 - 4:24 pm
Sun Devils come in at 22 in admittedly premature Top 25 poll
Of course, the Sun Devils beat two of those teams head-to-head, which has led some to express frustration over the finish.
However, the 2013 season is now in the past, meaning it's time to look ahead to 2014. That's where ESPN's Mark Schlabach comes in, as he's produced his Way-Too-Early Top 25 and has the Sun Devils sitting at 22nd.
The Sun Devils went 10-4 and won the Pac-12 South in coach Todd Graham's second season, but they finished the campaign with disappointing losses to Stanford in the Pac-12 championship game and Texas Tech in the National University Holiday Bowl. Quarterback Taylor Kelly is coming back after throwing for 3,635 yards with 28 touchdowns, but the Sun Devils will lose tailback Marion Grice and two starters on the offensive line. The defense will have to fill a lot of holes this coming season, as they'll lose star defensive tackle Will Sutton, three linebackers and three starting defensive backs. If junior linebacker Carl Bradford decides to enter the NFL draft, ASU will have to replace nine defensive starters in 2014. The Sun Devils will play nonconference games against FCS foe Weber State and Notre Dame at home, along with a road game at New Mexico next season.
The Pac-12 teams ahead of the Devils are Oregon (3), Stanford (4), UCLA (7), USC (14) and Washington (19). Whether or not the Devils deserve to be higher than those teams is certainly up for debate (and after all, isn't that the point of producing a list like this on Jan. 7?), but regardless it appears the conference is going to be pretty strong once again.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.