Updated Jan 7, 2014 - 4:24 pm
Sun Devils come in at 22 in admittedly premature Top 25 poll
Of course, the Sun Devils beat two of those teams head-to-head, which has led some to express frustration over the finish.
However, the 2013 season is now in the past, meaning it's time to look ahead to 2014. That's where ESPN's Mark Schlabach comes in, as he's produced his Way-Too-Early Top 25 and has the Sun Devils sitting at 22nd.
The Sun Devils went 10-4 and won the Pac-12 South in coach Todd Graham's second season, but they finished the campaign with disappointing losses to Stanford in the Pac-12 championship game and Texas Tech in the National University Holiday Bowl. Quarterback Taylor Kelly is coming back after throwing for 3,635 yards with 28 touchdowns, but the Sun Devils will lose tailback Marion Grice and two starters on the offensive line. The defense will have to fill a lot of holes this coming season, as they'll lose star defensive tackle Will Sutton, three linebackers and three starting defensive backs. If junior linebacker Carl Bradford decides to enter the NFL draft, ASU will have to replace nine defensive starters in 2014. The Sun Devils will play nonconference games against FCS foe Weber State and Notre Dame at home, along with a road game at New Mexico next season.
The Pac-12 teams ahead of the Devils are Oregon (3), Stanford (4), UCLA (7), USC (14) and Washington (19). Whether or not the Devils deserve to be higher than those teams is certainly up for debate (and after all, isn't that the point of producing a list like this on Jan. 7?), but regardless it appears the conference is going to be pretty strong once again.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.