Updated Jan 7, 2014 - 4:24 pm
Sun Devils come in at 22 in admittedly premature Top 25 poll
Of course, the Sun Devils beat two of those teams head-to-head, which has led some to express frustration over the finish.
However, the 2013 season is now in the past, meaning it's time to look ahead to 2014. That's where ESPN's Mark Schlabach comes in, as he's produced his Way-Too-Early Top 25 and has the Sun Devils sitting at 22nd.
The Sun Devils went 10-4 and won the Pac-12 South in coach Todd Graham's second season, but they finished the campaign with disappointing losses to Stanford in the Pac-12 championship game and Texas Tech in the National University Holiday Bowl. Quarterback Taylor Kelly is coming back after throwing for 3,635 yards with 28 touchdowns, but the Sun Devils will lose tailback Marion Grice and two starters on the offensive line. The defense will have to fill a lot of holes this coming season, as they'll lose star defensive tackle Will Sutton, three linebackers and three starting defensive backs. If junior linebacker Carl Bradford decides to enter the NFL draft, ASU will have to replace nine defensive starters in 2014. The Sun Devils will play nonconference games against FCS foe Weber State and Notre Dame at home, along with a road game at New Mexico next season.
The Pac-12 teams ahead of the Devils are Oregon (3), Stanford (4), UCLA (7), USC (14) and Washington (19). Whether or not the Devils deserve to be higher than those teams is certainly up for debate (and after all, isn't that the point of producing a list like this on Jan. 7?), but regardless it appears the conference is going to be pretty strong once again.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.