Updated Jan 14, 2014 - 11:47 pm
ASU launches campaign for Sun Devil Stadium renovation
Included in the university's press release was news of a public fundraising drive -- the Sun Devil Stadium Momentum Campaign, namely -- which seeks to bring in $50 million in private donations, helping to complete renovations.
The stadium, which ASU president Michael Crow called a Valley landmark on Tuesday, will undergo a complete renovation, remaining in the Tempe/ Hayden Buttes and keeping Tillman Tunnel intact.
Meanwhile, upgraded amenities, more legroom, backs on seats and benches, and a higher number of restrooms are among the highlights of the new Sun Devil Stadium. Construction on the stadium is scheduled to begin in 2015 and ASU will play its home games at Sun Devil Stadium throughout the project, rather than uprooting its contests to Chase Field, as had been previously announced.
Originally, the addition of a shade canopy was included in renovation plans, but the estimated $132 million cost of the structure -- and the fact that it would prohibit fireworks -- caused the university to exclude it from the rebuild.
The Sun Devil Stadium Momentum Campaign will forgo taxpayer dollars, relying instead on new momentum streams and private donations, as mentioned by Crow in the university's release.
"We will need philanthropic support from our community in order to provide features that will take the game experience to a new level," he said.
Having previously hosted the Super Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl, nearly 150 NFL games and, most recently, the Pac-12 Championship, Sun Devil Stadium hasn't undergone a major renovation since 1988, when it added 1,700 seats.
The new Sun Devil Stadium will seat 60,000 -- more than 10,000 fewer than its current capacity of 71,706.
The north end zone will be removed next month, as was originally announced in the fall of 2013.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?