Updated Jan 27, 2014 - 4:55 pm
ESPN: ASU's Will Sutton hurt stock during Senior Bowl
On one hand, he is the reining two-time Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, a player who regularly commanded double teams, forcing opposing offenses to game plan for him.
On the other hand, he's someone whose numbers took a significant dip from 2012 to 2013, causing some to wonder if he gained too much weight in the offseason.
Apparently that is still the case, as a trio of ESPN draft analysts concluded that Sutton's stock took a hit over a week of Senior Bowl practices along with the game itself.
In an ESPN Insider piece recapping who helped themselves and who hurt themselves, Sutton's name came up on the wrong side of things.
Sutton had four tackles in Saturday's game, including a tackle for loss, but the bottom line with him is that at 6-0 and 315 pounds he is carrying too much weight on his frame and doesn't appear nearly explosive as he did when he played at a lighter weight in 2012. He still plays with an edge and flashes heavy hands, but offensive linemen reached and engulfed him when he failed to win initially. If he can shed some weight and post a strong 10-yard split at the combine, it will help his cause. He'll also need to interview well and ease concerns about his conditioning.
Sutton tallied 13 sacks in 2012 but had just four in 2013, causing many to wonder if he'd be an impact player at the next level.
Of course, the opinions of scouts and analysts are always a mixed bag, so just because some think Sutton is too heavy does not mean everyone feels the same way.
But with a few months left between now and the draft, it appears Sutton may still have some work to do with regards to his stock.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!