Updated Feb 6, 2014 - 11:43 am
ASU's Norvell: There's a great buzz about ASU
In all, 14 of the team's 26 recruits have been given a four-star rating by at least one noted recruiting news service, with 12 also being ranked in the nation's top 30 at their respective positions.
Thursday morning, ESPN ranked ASU's class as the 21st-best in the country, while Scout.com has them 16th.
"That's something that's nice whenever you hear about that or see that," Norvell told the Doug and Wolf Show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday morning. "For us, we take a great deal of pride in our evaluation. There's times, there are some players that might not be as highly ranked that we think are the top guys in the class.
"We do a very extensive job with all our evaluation, with how a guy fits. It's great that, nationally, people see our class as one of the best out there -- and I believe it is as well -- but you just try to make sure that you're being thorough with every evaluation, and then obviously all the factors that we're looking for for great Sun Devils."
The reasons behind ASU's success on the recruiting trail are obvious. The Devils are coming off a 10-win season that saw them win the Pac-12 South, which had to be attractive to players looking for a college.
"Across this country there's a great buzz about ASU and what we're doing here," Norvell said. "And not just the wins that we're having on the field, but how we're winning."
Norvell said the Devils play an exciting style of football that "kids want to be a part of," and the results from the recruiting trail would seem to back up that claim.
"I think that was definitely a great help," he said. "It's a nice problem to have there when going into signing day and you have more people wanting to be a part of your program than spots that you have available."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona State moves up multiple spots in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.