Updated Feb 13, 2014 - 11:22 am
Arizona State and BYU agree to future football series
The former Western Athletic Conference rivals scheduled a home-and-home series, which will begin on Sept. 19, 2020 when the teams meet at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.
The teams will then battle in Provo, UT the following season on Sept. 18.
"This football series with Brigham Young University renews one of our oldest and most interesting rivalries," says vice president for university athletics Ray Anderson. "These two institutions and the communities they represent enjoy a long, rich history and a lot of common bonds between them. Also, it fulfills a need for us to schedule home/home series with institutions that are located in the Western portion of the United States."
The schools have met 27 times in their history, with the Sun Devils holding a 20-7 edge. The schools last played a series in 1997 and 1998, with BYU winning both games.
"It has been a priority of ours to schedule a future football series with Brigham Young University," says Sun Devil head football coach Todd Graham. "Scheduling is so important to the overall success of a program and this is the type of matchup that we are seeking to fulfill our future openings."
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.