Updated Mar 17, 2014 - 4:30 pm
ASU head coach Todd Graham diagnoses two areas of emphasis for spring practice
Year one saw Graham's Devils go 8-5 with a 5-4 record in the Pac-12. They followed that up by winning the Pac-12 South Championship with an 8-1 conference record and overall mark of 10-4.
The 2013 season didn't end the way they would have liked, however. Arizona State was pounded by Stanford in the Pac-12 Championship Game and beaten soundly by Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl.
One thing was clear from Graham's press conference the afternoon before spring practice was set to begin: he has identified the Sun Devils' weaknesses and will use the spring as a starting point to correcting them.
#1 Special Teams
"Special teams is gonna be a big focus for us," Graham said. "That's something we're going to work really hard on this spring. Developing depth, I think, is one of things we evaluated that's been a challenge for us. That's got to be at the top of the list."
Some special teams stats from last year:
• ASU allowed the second-highest punt return average in the Pac-12 (10.05 yards per return).
• ASU didn't have a punt return or kickoff return touchdown in 2013.
#2 Run Defense
"If you really evaluate and look at the running game last year, the direct runs weren't where we got hurt," the head coach said. "We got hurt to the perimeter, angle flow runs to the boundary. We're looking at how we deploy our defense a little bit differently to put bigger guys at the end position into the boundary where the devil usually is as well as having a bigger boundary safety to be able to support."
Run Defense stats:
• ASU allowed opponents to gain 3.88 yards per carry, which was fifth-best in the Pac-12.
• ASU allowed 22 runs over 20 yards -- which was the fourth-most in Pac-12.
These were two of ASU's biggest issues last year that have been identified the by head coach.
Step one in being able to fix a problem is recognizing there is one.
Now the Sun Devils have 15 practices to start working out the kinks.
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.