Updated Mar 22, 2014 - 10:36 am
ASU coach Graham: 'I think we'll be the best we've ever been' on offense
"Offensively, I think we'll be the best we've ever been," Graham said.
Pretty bold proclamation considering the offensive unit had a strong showing last year: The Sun Devils put up the the 17th-most yards of total offense in the nation.
Graham proceeded to name off some of the players that give him confidence in such a prediction, including running backs D.J. Foster and Deantre Lewis, receivers Kyle Middlebrooks and Jaelen Strong and offensive lineman Christian Westerman, among others.
"We're going to be extremely explosive, extremely talented on offense," the coach said. "Obviously, we've got our quarterback back. We've got two of the best quarterbacks, I think, in the country."
The two quarterbacks he's referring to are Mike Bercovici and starter Taylor Kelly. In the backfield, Foster -- whom Graham said is a "dynamic playmaker" -- looks to become the No. 1 rush option since Marion Grice, last year's leading rusher, will graduate in this spring.
"In Pac-12 play last year -- just looking at Pac-12 games -- we had the No. 1 scoring offense. And I think the expectations will be as good or better than that," Graham added.
Kelly, who will return as a senior, had career highs in completions (302), attempts (484) and yards (3,635) in 2013 -- and his 28 touchdown passes were one shy of his best mark.
The 6-foot-2 quarterback has already had two prolific years behind center for the Sun Devils, and Graham said that Kelly's best may be yet to come.
"You know, he's improved his arm strength each year," the coach said. "We want to be able to push the ball more vertically downfield and become more explosive as an offense. And I think you'll see that this next year. I do think that he's stronger now.
"And I think having a guy behind him like Bercovici that's so good, it really pushes him. Because I really, really think that we've got two of the best quarterbacks in the conference, and maybe in the country."
Graham added that he thinks Kelly is one of the top two returning quarterbacks in the Pac-12 -- along with Oregon's Marcus Mariota.
"(I've) got a lot of confidence in Taylor," Graham said. "And I think (his return is) big, because you've got to have a championship quarterback to win a championship."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.