Updated Apr 10, 2014 - 6:52 pm
ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
Graham made sure to let everyone, including the media, know how he felt.
"One reason why you say whatever you think is because kids read it," Graham said with a smile after practice on Thursday. "The D-line a little p.o.'d and came out here today and responded. I like how they responded."
In particular, Graham singled out redshirt junior Mo Latu.
"Came out with a purpose," Latu said, adding he took Graham's words to heart, saying he wanted to, "go out there and blow up everybody. If the whistle was blown, the whistle was blown. I was making sure I got my point across."
"He was the leader of the defensive line today," the coach said. "He's got unbelievable potential."
For Latu, who stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 370 pounds, to reach that potential he needs to lose more weight. Already he said he's shed 24 pounds with a goal, what he called his "ideal" playing weight, of 330-335 pounds for the upcoming season.
Latu is committed, spending 45 to 50 minutes each day running on a treadmill, including jogging at a 10 percent incline, and exercising on a Stairmaster.
"It's all worth it," he said. "First time doing the Stairmaster and getting off of it, my legs were dead. But then the second practice, the Stairmaster came to my advantage. I'm building up muscle and everything so my steps are more powerful now. I look at it as another way to get better."
Latu mentioned that even with the weight he's lost thus far he can feel a difference, and his coach is excited about what the change can mean.
"We're an attack front… (And) you can't, at that weight -- at 350-plus be able to -- you can't rush the passer, be able to move and do the stunts that we require on our defense," Graham said. "We're going to do whatever it takes to help him because it's also a health issue. You don't need to weigh that much. But he's got a great heart and a guy that I'm really, really proud of how he's working right now."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!