ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
No more so than in Tempe, where the former Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year starred on the gridiron for four years, captaining the Sun Devils to the program's second Rose Bowl appearance in 1996-97.
ASU athletic director Ray Anderson has only been on the job for a little over two months now, but as he revealed on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Tillman's presence is apparent just about anywhere he goes on campus.
"Obviously, the love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable," Anderson said. "You see it every place, literally every place in and around Tempe there is a tribute to Pat Tillman.
"To come into an environment as an outsider and see that he is coveted and embraced by everybody as a personal family member who sacrificed for his country and who was a representative of ASU, there's just a lot of pride, a lot of love, a lot of embracing for everything that is number 42."
Since Tillman's death in April 2004, the university has gone to great lengths to pay tribute and honor their former student-athlete.
From retiring his jersey to redesigning Sun Devil Stadium's south tunnel in his honor to renaming its veterans center with his namesake, Tillman remains close in the hearts and minds of all those who bleed maroon and gold.
But in Anderson's eyes, the greatest illustration of Tillman's impact might just be the annual race put on by his foundation, which has been hosted by the city and university every year since 2006.
"This weekend as you know is Pat's Run," said Anderson. "It's 4.2 miles and ends at the 42-yard line in the stadium. Just the details of that shows how important he is to everything in this community and Arizona State.
"I'm really proud to be a part of it and to be able to appreciate it, and frankly enjoy his memory as a real hero for this university."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona State moves up multiple spots in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.