Updated May 1, 2014 - 2:46 pm
ASU's Todd Graham: Nine conference games make sense
The exception here is the SEC.
Earlier this week the conference announced it would stick with an eight-game league schedule, a decision that was discussed repeatedly during the Pac-12 football spring media teleconference on Thursday.
ASU head coach Todd Graham was among those who weighed in with an opinion.
"Especially with a four-game playoff and people having to make selections for who those four teams are, my deal is that it all should be on an equal playing field. I do think everybody should play the same amount of conference games," he said.
"We're guaranteeing half our teams in our league a loss by playing a ninth conference game. But for our fans, they would much rather see a ninth conference game than us playing a 1-AA team or something like that. I think it makes fiscal sense."
The added revenue certainly certainly is a nice bonus, but more importantly according to Graham, as he mentioned previously, is the fan experience.
"They like seeing that extra conference game because that's obviously a completely different atmosphere and a completely different opponent than playing another mid-major or 1-AA," he said. "I know our players want to play in, I want to coach in (those games). We played Notre Dame and Wisconsin last year and I really think it made us a better football team because we played that."
The Sun Devils beat Wisconsin and lost to Notre Dame on their way to winning 10 games and the Pac-12 South Division.
"The NFL would not have the NFC playing so many conference games and then the AFC playing different," the third-year head coach said. "I think it should be, especially with a playoff system we ought to be able to come together and say, ‘hey, everybody is going to play nine conference games or eight conference games, whatever you want to play.' But I think nine makes sense."
Graham also thinks it makes sense for every conference to stage a postseason conference championship game.
And that's not all.
"What I hope to see in the future, obviously I don't want to throw gas on the fire, but I think the conference champion should mean something. I'd love to see it where there was an eight-game playoff where if you win the Pac-12 you should be in the playoff. That way you could have five automatic bids and then you have three at-large," he said.
"It's not a perfect system. I think it's better. I'm glad we've got the playoff. I'm glad we're keeping the tradition of the bowls intact. I think that's big, especially how we feel about the Rose Bowl."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.