Updated May 13, 2014 - 2:49 pm
Arizona State adds future non-conference games with Michigan State
Arizona State will be playing 2014 Rose Bowl Champion Michigan State in 2018 and in 2019.
Sun Devils athletic director Ray Anderson announced the news on Arizona Sports 98.7's Bickley & Marotta Tuesday afternoon.
"This is really a reflection of our desire and Coach Graham's desire to make sure that our non-conference opponents are as competitive going forward as we can get them," Anderson said. "We want to play the big boys because we are a big boy, consistently, and certainly our non-conference schedule is going to reflect that."
The 2018 game will be in Tempe on Sept. 8 with the Sun Devils taking a trip to East Lansing the following year on Sept. 14.
"I am excited that we are able to announce the series with Michigan State University," Sun Devil head football coach Todd Graham said. "Scheduling is very important to the overall success of a program and this is the type of matchup that we are seeking to fill our future dates. This series will help build our football program."
The Sun Devils and Spartans have met twice before, a home-and-home in 1985 and 1986. Both teams won at home.
To accommodate the Michigan State game in 2018, ASU and San Diego State moved their previously scheduled game in 2018 on September 8 to September 15.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?