Updated May 13, 2014 - 2:49 pm
Arizona State adds future non-conference games with Michigan State
Arizona State will be playing 2014 Rose Bowl Champion Michigan State in 2018 and in 2019.
Sun Devils athletic director Ray Anderson announced the news on Arizona Sports 98.7's Bickley & Marotta Tuesday afternoon.
"This is really a reflection of our desire and Coach Graham's desire to make sure that our non-conference opponents are as competitive going forward as we can get them," Anderson said. "We want to play the big boys because we are a big boy, consistently, and certainly our non-conference schedule is going to reflect that."
The 2018 game will be in Tempe on Sept. 8 with the Sun Devils taking a trip to East Lansing the following year on Sept. 14.
"I am excited that we are able to announce the series with Michigan State University," Sun Devil head football coach Todd Graham said. "Scheduling is very important to the overall success of a program and this is the type of matchup that we are seeking to fill our future dates. This series will help build our football program."
The Sun Devils and Spartans have met twice before, a home-and-home in 1985 and 1986. Both teams won at home.
To accommodate the Michigan State game in 2018, ASU and San Diego State moved their previously scheduled game in 2018 on September 8 to September 15.
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.