Updated May 14, 2014 - 10:31 am
Arizona State football ranked 16th in Athlon preseason poll
The longtime college football annual is releasing its preseason Top 25 a few teams at a time, and the defending Pac-12 South champion Sun Devils came in at No. 16 on the list.
(Head coach Todd) Graham talks big — and so far has backed up his words. But given the massive remake of the defense, it's hard to imagine the Sun Devils winning a second straight Pac-12 South title. ASU will attack offensively and score a lot of points, but it might also be on the wrong end of 45-42 games. ASU has to play at USC, Washington, Oregon State and arch-rival Arizona and also has a difficult non-conference game against Notre Dame in early November. A nine-win season would deserve applause.
The preview also says the Devils should have one of the top offenses in the Pac-12, led by senior quarterback Taylor Kelly, junior running back D.J. Foster and junior wideout Jaelen Strong.
This year's Athlon Sports College Football Preview is scheduled to hit newsstands around Memorial Day.
Athlon Sports Preseason Top 25
25. Missouri Tigers
24. Washington Huskies
23. Florida Gators
22. Penn State Nittany Lions
21. Clemson Tigers
20. Kansas State Wildcats
19. LSU Tigers
18. Ole Miss Rebels
17. Texas Longhorns
16. Arizona State Sun Devils
15. Wisconsin Badgers
14. Released May 15
13. Released May 15
12. Released May 15
11. Released May 16
10. Released May 15
9. Released May 19
8. Released May 19
7. Released May 20
6. Released May 20
5. Released May 21
4. Released May 22
3. Released May 23
2. Released May 27
1. Released May 27
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.