ASU coach Graham: Anything short of Pac-12 title will leave people disappointed
"I think you come in and win eight ball games and then come in and win 10 ball games, going to the conference championship, doing the things that we've done to this point has been, really, the easy part," he told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "The hard part now is to go win the conference championship.
"Anything short of that, people are going to be disappointed."
He's probably right.
Since taking over for Dennis Erickson following the 2011 season, Graham has instilled a level of discipline and confidence in the team that has not been seen for a while. The result has been a pair of surprisingly successful seasons that have now positioned the program to take the next step and go from good to elite.
"The hard part starts now; the margin for error is so small," he said.
That's not to say Graham isn't confident. The third-year Sun Devil coach believes this will be the best offensive team he's had in Tempe and is confident they'll be much improved on special teams.
But as is the case in college football, Graham and the Devils will also be looking to replace departed talent, much of which was on the defensive side of the ball. Among the players who left were defensive lineman Will Sutton, who was the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the year, along with safety Alden Darby and linebackers Chris Young and Carl Bradford.
Last season, ASU ranked seventh in the Pac-12 in scoring defense but allowed the fourth-fewest yards per game. Along with the explosive offense it was enough to win the Pac-12 South. But with so many key players gone, people are concerned that the Devils may struggle to stop opponents.
"We're going to be very young on defense, but on the same end, I've got a lot of confidence that we've signed a really good class," the coach said. "We'll be young, but I think people will be surprised at how good we will be on defense."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?