ASU coach Graham: Anything short of Pac-12 title will leave people disappointed
"I think you come in and win eight ball games and then come in and win 10 ball games, going to the conference championship, doing the things that we've done to this point has been, really, the easy part," he told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "The hard part now is to go win the conference championship.
"Anything short of that, people are going to be disappointed."
He's probably right.
Since taking over for Dennis Erickson following the 2011 season, Graham has instilled a level of discipline and confidence in the team that has not been seen for a while. The result has been a pair of surprisingly successful seasons that have now positioned the program to take the next step and go from good to elite.
"The hard part starts now; the margin for error is so small," he said.
That's not to say Graham isn't confident. The third-year Sun Devil coach believes this will be the best offensive team he's had in Tempe and is confident they'll be much improved on special teams.
But as is the case in college football, Graham and the Devils will also be looking to replace departed talent, much of which was on the defensive side of the ball. Among the players who left were defensive lineman Will Sutton, who was the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the year, along with safety Alden Darby and linebackers Chris Young and Carl Bradford.
Last season, ASU ranked seventh in the Pac-12 in scoring defense but allowed the fourth-fewest yards per game. Along with the explosive offense it was enough to win the Pac-12 South. But with so many key players gone, people are concerned that the Devils may struggle to stop opponents.
"We're going to be very young on defense, but on the same end, I've got a lot of confidence that we've signed a really good class," the coach said. "We'll be young, but I think people will be surprised at how good we will be on defense."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.