Pac-12 to introduce morning kickoff times
The conference announced Sunday that it will introduce an 11 a.m. PT kickoff window during the upcoming season, and Pac-12 Networks will broadcast the games in place of an evening game.
Games that will be played in the new time slot will be announced as the season progresses.
"This is a positive step for Pac-12 fans across the Conference," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said in a press release. "There has been an adjustment over the last two years with our new television agreement, and we believe fans -- both in our stadiums and in the television audience -- will benefit."
The presidents and chancellors of Pac-12 schools wrote a letter earlier this year stating its intent to address the evolving needs of student-athletes, and among the topics mentioned was the abundance of late-night games played in the conference.
Also brought up in the group's letter was health care for athletes, and the conference announced Sunday that a $3.6 million-per-year research program has been extended for the next three years -- allowing each Pac-12 school to submit proposals regarding ways to "fund product and technology implementation for the betterment of student-athlete health and well-being."
Arizona State opens its 2014 football season by hosting Weber State on Thursday, Aug. 28. The University of Arizona kicks off its season on Friday, Aug. 29 by hosting UNLV.
- Stagnant or statement
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?