Darren Woodson compares ASU to Alabama
But the upcoming season will be Graham's third at ASU. He has exceeded expectations, winning 10 games in 2013 and capturing the Pac-12 South.
Former ASU and Dallas Cowboys defensive back Darren Woodson gave rave reviews of Graham on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM and even compared the Sun Devils to powerhouse Alabama.
"He wants the entire culture of that school to change as far as the football program is concerned," Woodson said. "I love it. That's what you see in big-time programs. What Todd Graham is doing right now at Arizona State is what you see in some of the big-time programs like at Alabama, Auburn, a lot of the SEC schools, Texas A&M. These guys really get it and it starts from recruiting."
ASU ranked last out of 120 teams in college football in penalties per game (8.4) in 2011, the year before Graham arrived. He has improved that dramatically by finishing 12th and 19th in 2012 and 2013, respectively in that category.
Woodson believes Graham has not only improved the Sun Devils' on-field discipline, but also off the field.
"We look at Arizona State over the years, they've been the most undisciplined team that you could ever have in the Pac-12," Woodson said. "They were terrible as far as discipline, not knowing where they're going defensively, guys missing classes, not being eligible. He's changed a lot of that.
"That's hard when you're talking about a culture that's sort of been the same for a long time and you're talking about 18-year-old, 19-year-old kids. That's a hard, tough change and he's faced it straight on and you have to respect where he is right now and where this program is."
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.