Report: Mike Stoops headed back to OU
According to News9.com in Oklahoma, who cites multiple sources close to the OU program, Stoops will rejoin his older brother Bob's coaching staff at OU this week.
The reports indicate that Stoops will be named co-defensive coordinator, sharing duties with Brent Venables. Mike Stoops was an assistant at Oklahoma from 1999-2003, before taking the head coaching job at Arizona.
Stoops was on the sideline for Oklahoma's win over Iowa in last month's Insight Bowl in Tempe. After the game, the elder Stoops was asked if his brother's presence was a sign of his impending return to OU.
"It doesn't mean anything," Stoops said, "It means he's my brother, and he lives not too far away. Why wouldn't he come to the game?"
Arizona fired Stoops midway through his eighth season after the Wildcats stumbled to a 1-5 start. His overall record at U of A was 41-50.
During his 5-year tenure as Oklahoma's defensive coordinator, the Sooners went 55-11 and won the BCS National Championship in 2000.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a