Arizona football looking to win on and off the field
But his biggest challenge going forward?
"I think the biggest challenge that we face is changing a little bit of the mindset and culture that maybe our guys have right now that maybe we're not the best program in America," Rodriguez told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
Rodriguez said he polled his team, asking who was the best, and only about 10 players said Arizona.
"I can understand that, because they think the best program in America is the one that wins national championships," he added. "Well, we've got to believe that we're going to be the best program in America, and we've got to work to that end."
The former West Virginia and Michigan coach said his players have a good attitude and are working hard, but they'll need to take things to the next level.
"You've got to do a little extra, and I think that mind-set is the biggest challenge that we face right now," he said.
So, really, it's about perception. And whether it's the players on the team or just how people around the country view Arizona football, that is what has to change.
Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne, who was also a guest on Doug and Wolf, said that's happening right now, especially with the Pac-12's new television contract.
"Kids are going to want to go to a place where they're going to be on TV, they can get exposure, their families can watch them play," he said. "And all of a sudden Arizona and the Pac-12 is going to be talked about in another light than we ever have before."
Byrne said it's up to the school to take advantage of that, and that's why they are working hard to promote the University of Arizona brand every chance they get.
"Obviously Tucson's our foundation, but we need to be strong up here in Phoenix."
It will help if they are also strong on the football field, and Rodriguez seems to be well on his way to making that happen.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a