Jay-Z's new album sells more than 500K in 1 week
NEW YORK (AP) - Jay-Z's new album has sold more than 500,000 units its first week.
Nielsen SoundScan said late Tuesday preliminary data shows that "Magna Carta Holy Grail" moved about 527,000 copies. It will debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart this week.
The album was officially released on July 7. Samsung bought and gave 1.2 million copies of the album to Galaxy mobile phone users on July 4. Billboard is not counting those sales on its charts.
"Magna Carta" has the second-best first-week debut of the year after Justin Timberlake's "20/20 Experience." The album features Timberlake, Beyonce, Frank Ocean and Timbaland.
Jay-Z's 12th album had more than 14 million streams in its first week on Spotify, beating a record that Daft Punk set in May with "Random Access Memories."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- 2014 UA Hall of Fame inductee Dick Tomey: Rich Rodriguez 'the right man at the right time' for Wildcats
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.