Afternoon delight: McCartney surprises London fans
LONDON (AP) - People who lunch at Covent Garden are used to jugglers, mimes and street musicians vying for their attention- and a spare coin or two- but Friday's performer didn't bother to pass the hat.
Paul McCartney doesn't need the money. But he apparently still needs the thrill of a live performance and the applause of adoring fans. The ubiquitous former Beatle gave a surprise free performance from the back of a truck, livening up the lunch hour for workers and tourists alike.
McCartney performed tracks from his latest album "New" before thousands who gathered in the famous market square in central London. Word about the show had spread throughout the British capital since the singer's crew started setting up speakers early Friday.
McCartney has been promoting his latest album with television appearances and interviews this week.
He and pop princess Katy Perry traded songwriting tips at a taping of "The Graham Norton Show" in London on Thursday night.
McCartney said he and late writing partner John Lennon expected to come away with a song every time they brainstormed. Perry, who says she's "an observer of life," carries around a recorder while she's on tour to stash away phrases that strike her fancy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.